Today I made no bake cookies. This is usually a mundane activity, mindless and easily accomplished but today as I was stirring the chocolaty mixture, measuring the oatmeal and peanut butter as I was dolloping them out onto wax paper. I began to contemplate the meaning of no bake cookies to me.
It was a young girls 5th birthday party she was so excited. As the planning began all she wanted was a rainbow birthday cake and no bake cookies. Her friends were coming dressed up in their Halloween costumes to celebrate her special day. The day finally arrived and time was running short and the no bake cookies were not made. She was of course sad at first but quickly forgave her mom for the misdeed. The party was great the little girl was so happy her friends could be there and her wish of all wishes was for her friends.
That day is all over but the memory of the no bake cookies, the significance of them will not be lost by me. For you see that was her last birthday.
Our children are here but a moment and we don't know when that moment is going to end. Are we taking the time for them they need, are we taking the time to breathe with them, snuggle with them until their bodies melt into ours, to teach them, do we love them and do they know it, are we remembering the "no bake cookies" in their lives or are they being forgotten in the hustle and bustle of sports, music lessons, TV shows, climbing the never ending ladder, the appearance of perfection and the list goes on and on.
I know if that mother could go back there would be no bake cookies at that birthday party. I know every year on that day there are with no little smiling face to eat them. For myself and all others who might read this never forget the "No Bake Cookies"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the reminder to savor the moments with our precious little ones!
Post a Comment