4. Buy Local-within a hundred miles
This has truly been the hardest. What I found: local bakeries, Country Fresh is based in MI so is Kellogs I know they are not within a 100 miles but they are in MI, some grocery stores carry local(Krogers) and their are graineries within 20 minutes. The biggest thing I did do was utilize the local farms and the Farmers Market. The kids loved going and they also loved helping prep the fruits and veggies for canning and freezing. I have a bushel of potatoes in a closet and I have used them all winter and they were fine all winter it was one of my experiements that I was a bit nervous about. I even made and froze my own pesto. I don't know if I have saved a dime on this endeavor but I do know we saved our Earths natural resources.
* did you know that if every US citizen ate one meal a week organically and locally grown or raised (with in 100 miles) we would reduce our country's oil consumption by 1.1 million barrels of oil a week! Think for a moment how much it cost to ship bananas to the local grocery store. They are harvested, trucked, flown, shipped, and trucked before they get to our local grocery store all using oil!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment