Friday, June 13, 2008

Amazed

One of my little jewels has been wanting a cell phone and after the last one was lost who knows where we have been hesitant in this request(even though it would make my life much easier). We finally a few months or so ago heard from our joker, "why can't I have one?" We will talk about it was my reply. It was decided that the ball would be sent back into his court and had 24hours to tell us 3 reasons why he should have one, he smiled and said, "I can tell you that right now." as the sentenced continued and 3 reasons why you shouldn't. I didn't realizes jaws could get that close to the floor. Of course in 24 hours we had our reasons but it truly came down to responsibility. We needed him to show us he was responsible and explained examples of how he could show us responsibility. We didn't think this was a huge request but was not accepted well and the subject was there for dropped(little did we know he was listening).
Now we will fast forward to yesterday as we are planning out the details of summer. Plans, expectations, what every one wanted out of summer vacation and then we went ahead and planned as much as was reasonably possible. As we neared the end of our calendering session I am surprised by this request from my joker, "I have been thinking about it and I would like a cell phone so could we make a chart labeled 1-100 and every time I am responsible I get a 1/2 a mark and then if I am not responsible you can take away a 1/2 a mark. Then when I get to 100 then can I have a cell phone?" I can tell you I was simply shocked because he was able to present to us a long term plan and have both needs met over time. We needed a show of responsibility over a long period of time and he would like a cell phone. Both needs met in the simple little plan. I am amazed by my children everyday but some days they leave me speechless at how amazing they are!

1 comment:

Company EIGHT said...

I'm amazed too--what a great kid!