Thursday, September 2, 2010

School Lunch

I love preparing for school to start(even though I personally am sad when they go back) except I felt I needed to work on one area their lunches. I always start off the year really well and then more and more I find mysel relying on prepacked fruit snacks, granola bars, crackers with PB, or bags of cookies simply because I am out of ideas.

I started doing some research a lot on line but I bought a couple of children's cookbooks(you know the ones for 3.99 waiting for you at the checkout) and went through old ones I had and the more I read the more I really liked the idea of bento boxes.

Solution #1 Bento Boxes
(to see what these are type it into google search or www.lunchinabox.net )I am really unwilling to shell out the $15 plus(times 3 equals $45 not to mention shipping most typically from Japan) for one so I researched more and found these:


they also come in blue and they were only $5.99(I found them at Babies R Us).


I made up lists of things my children like to eat and put them into the 5 food groups. Now after dinner each night as we are cleaning up we can take portions of our leftovers from dinner and pack their lunches. Yeah healthier lunches without a lot more work.

Solution #2 Lunch Basket

I have always had a lunch basket with items in it but it was more of an economy version. Then I saw this version of my lunch basket HERE and inspiration struck. I knew I needed to make my lunch basket into a first class version so I started adding to my basket.

I am so excited about packing lunches now and am glad I was able to find a way for me to enjoy this part of being a mom and I wish I could be there to see there faces everyday when they open their lunches to new surprises and fun food!!!!

*I will take some pictures once school is under way of some yummy examples!!!

1 comment:

luckyduck said...

Thanks for sharing! Glad to know I'm not the only one racking my brains. This is new territory for me.