Friday, March 6, 2009

Adventures in Painting

I have painted many rooms in my life. Alone, with kids in the house(always an adventure), with help(of the grown up sort), but until today was a first I had the help of my children. They were so excited I was going to be painting they just had to help! I readily got my 6,5, and 3.5 year old dressed in painting duds and gave them each an area to paint. Now painting is a job when you do it alone but it is more of a job with extra helpers around. Here is what I learned:

* You have to paint over whatever they painted

* You have to make sure you know where they are in your working space at all times or you will be painting more than just walls

* Be ready to wipe up the floor at any moment

* It will take you twice as long...clean up of exra brushes and people plus painting around little helpers, fixing their drips etc...

* And last but not least they will have so much fun helping you do such an important job

Yes at times I thought I was going to lose my mind and possibly yell everyone out! Then the thought came to me if I were to lose my cool when they painted the back of my arm or got paint all over the floor what would I be teaching my little ones the Lord has entrusted me with? Working with mom is not fun, working is stressful, shame, they need to be perfect or I don't accept or even love them or do I want them to learn working together is fun, yes we spill(make mistakes) sometimes but we can fix it, the sense of accomplishment of a job well done, and even my mom loves me no matter what!!! Even though it was hard to paint with the little guys helping I am grateful for what we all learned in our Adventures in Painting!!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Lowe said...

I remember painting with my dad when I was growing up...and the paint always ended up everywhere! Those are actually some of my favorite memories...your kids will treasure this :)!

Erica said...

So what room did you paint?!?! Pictures please :)

You are such a good mom and are so good at keeping the right perspective!

Give them some more practice and then send them my way ;) j/k!!!