Thursday, November 6, 2008

Excuse This House

Excuse this house....Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there. Ours boasts of it quite openly, the signs are everywhere.....the smears are on the windows, little smudges on the doors; I guess I should apologize for the toys strewn on the floor.

But I sat down with the children and we played and laughed and read, and even though the bedroom's messy, their hearts are full instead. For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other....I want to be a housewife, but first I'll be a MOTHER!!!!

I love this poem! I received it from a family member when my oldest was very young and my house had to be clean, clean, clean! I might go a little to far the other way some days (see pictures below if you look carefully at the picture of dishes you can see a picture I found with the poem above on it, I read it everyday to remind me of my priorities)but I will never get tomorrow back and I am glad we have the moments. The dishes did get done by midnight and the clothes folded but most importantly we had that moment of organized craziness, laughter, creativity, and simply loving being together!

4 comments:

Erica said...

well said. that's exactly how i feel. when my babies are all grown up the important things they will remember will be the fun and special things we did together - not that the house was spotless everyday :)

luckyduck said...

Hi, Julia! I'm finding more friends on blogger everyday... Cute poem! The mess will always be there but the kids won't.

Stephanie Lowe said...

LOVE the mess--especially when it means cozying up to the little ones! These years will go by way too fast!!!

Company EIGHT said...

I need to be better at this. :) Thanks for the reminder.