Saturday was our 11th anniversary and we spent it much like we spent our wedding day...it started off watching a soccer game in the freezing cold, followed be feeding people, and ending with putting someone sick to bed.
After the soccer game we noticed Jensen started to have a raspy voice but it seemed to be no big deal. We came home after a lunch out and raked ourselves into exhaustion and after awhile Jensen needed a break. I was inside preparing chili for the a chili cook off(our chili came in third) and getting things into the van for the trunk or treat and getting the kids in their costumes all the while Jensen was chilling out. I even decided to take his temperature before we left because we had spent the week prior with sick children and he was all good so off to the Ward Chili Cook-Off/Trunk or Treat we went. We returned home that night and Jensen was running a fever...a relatively high one at that of 103.9. We called our friend and he was given a priesthood blessing. He awoke in the morning with barely a sign of a fever and still a bit of a raspy voice but nothing like the day before but I gave him some meds anyways and on with our day we went. By Sunday evening he was running a fever of 104.9 on ibuprofen so we gave him some Tylenol too and his fever came down enough that I was comfortable enough for us to head to bed with him right next to me.
He continued to run a fever and was a bit wheezy in the morning and so Jensen and I had a chill day. As the day progressed he had a couple of times were he had a hard time catching his breath but we would just go outside and he would get better almost immediately. I kept him in whatever room I was in until we picked up David and Julianna from school they all asked if they could watch a little TV show together and I said it seemed to be okay, since homework was done. A few moments later David walked in early from work and we chatted for a moment and then I felt like we need to bring Jensen up with me again. Julianna went down to get him and reported back he was sleeping, this alarmed me and so David went downstairs to get him. The next thing that happened is all a bit chaotic and crazy and realize it all happened in 30 seconds and truly was the most terrifying moment I have ever had as a parent and I have held a limp unresponsive baby in my arms after a febrile seizure on numerous occasions so I know scary but it did not prepare me for what happened next.. I see Jensen on his knees gasping for air and in his hoarse little voice he musters in between gasps, "Help me" and with the next gasp, "Need doctor"...I was trying to calm him down but I could see his lips were turning blue and I could see in his eyes he knew he was in trouble. I quickly lifted up his shirt and knew immediately he need to go to the ER. He was breathing with all of his stomach muscles, his rib cage, and the muscles in between his rib cage and I knew what would happen next if we did not get him help. At the same time this is all happening David is scooping him up and running out the door with him to take him to the ER.
There I was standing at the door watching my baby being rushed off for help. I had enough wits about me to call the other children to say a family prayer for our sweet Jensen. The next 30 minutes were rough for me. With my thoughts whirling..did he get there in time, if so what are they doing to help him, what is he didn't get there in time
I needed know if he was okay..and then I get text saying they took him right back and are putting him on oxygen. He is no longer blue and had calmed down and they were trying to get his ambient oxygen level up while trying to get his heart rate down.
A while later I was sent this picture:
Okay he is alive and breathing this is good, but the oxygen was not helping his airway was too closed off.
As the night went on and they were running tests on him and taking him for xrays etc..I kept getting the play by play via text.
They finally decided to give him a dose of steroids to open his airway and a while later I was sent this picture....
AHHH much better!!!
He has the beginnings of pneumonia, croup, and bronchitis...not a trio that helps with the whole breathing thing. He will be on steroids for the rest of the week to keep his airways open, antibiotics to get rid of the crud, and the Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail to keep his fever down. With lots of rest and no exertion prescribed as well.
I look back at that day and am grateful to see the Lords hand in every bit or our experience. I am grateful even more for my sweet boy that brings joy to our life everyday!!!


2 comments:
WOW. So glad he's ok. And that you are ok :)
Reading that is a bit of deja vu for me. I'm so sorry--it's so scary!
Post a Comment