Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of College

Our very first day of getting someone off at school was August 22nd and that was taking Christian off to SVSU to his dorm room, super excitng and soooo exhausting all at once, I was very grateful that Grandma took the three younger ones that day becasue it was a long long day. 
 
We started off by loading up the van with the already packed and previously bought items and then we shopped and shopped and shopped.  Did some last minute laptop prep(which we finally gave up on and worked on it that night) and off to college we took him.  It was interesting to see him a bit nervous and excited all at once.  The questions on his mind were Am I going to get along with my suitemates? Are they going to be messy? Am I going to be able to find my classes? do I have enough time between them to get to my dorm, grab my stuff for the next class, then get to that class?   Am I going to like the food?  Am I going to have enough time to study with 20 hours of track practice a week????
 
Once we were there at our designated time slot it was very organized and soon we had keys and id card in hand and were off to unload and unpack.  At the curb they had other SVSU students with red rolling bins that you loaded your stuff into and they lead you to your dorm and then you unloaded it.  It was so quick and simple I was impressed by how organized it was.  Christian knew who is actual roommate was going to be and he was there unloading as well.  It was fun listening to their interactions of how they were going to organize their room and they worked very well together.  I realized something right then I did a good job as his parent not a perfect job but  a really good job. 
 
Here is Christian and Steve his roomate:
 
 
After unpacking we ran to change his lunch account, sign up for a bank account with the bank they use on campus, and get his books and then we were off for more shopping.
 
It was a long day(we got home at 9ish pm) and am so glad he is on to the next part of his life, a new adventure.
 
Since this day I have been back 3 times.  The first time for the laptop delivery, a list of newly discovered needs, and a picture of our family was requested too(makes the heart happy), this was a good trip the other children came with me and it helped them to understand a little more where he was going to be.  The second was to pick him up for lunch and some track shopping.  The third was to pick him up for some family time on Labor Day, followed by some food shopping and bug spray(needed for the late night bball games). 
 
In good news with my last food delivery their dorm is still clean and organized.  I met a coouple more suitemates and all is well.  He was made for college life that is for sure.
 
 
 


No comments: