My Big Boy(and yes I realize he is a young man) has a wonderful quality, if he decides he is going to do something he will do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal. For years he has played soccer(4 to be precise) he would practice endlessly without being asked and has continued to this day to grab a ball and practice(even in the long winter monthes he would practice foot skills in the basement)whenever he has some free time. Last fall he was one of 2 freshman to make the JV team and they had him play double duty by playing on the Freshman team. If the JV team had a day of of practice he didn't, if they had no game on Saturday he usually did on the freshman team, he worked for those teams to near exhaustion.
Today I went to pick him up after tryouts and I was in a hurry so I got out of the van to remind him of my meeting in 20 minutes. It is then his coach comes up to me, we introduce ourselves and he says, "What did you do to him?" I replied, "Nothing."
I did nothing in November he decided to prepare for soccer tryouts. He went to the gym 3 days a week with a specific soccer training and speed training 2 times a week(all set up by the school). Instead of playing travel soccer he ran track and again trained in the gym 3 times a week, when school ended he was there on Tuesday and Thursday nights playing pick up games set up by the coach, when we were on vacation he ran and he ran some more, he picked up his pace at the gym sometimes 3-4 hours- lifting and running and sprinting. He worked hard! Today I am proud of him for working so hard for something!
As the coach continued to talk about Christian, he told me he wanted him last year but he was just a bit too small and this year he made the Varsity team(again 1 of 2 sophmores) and I was so excited for him, all of his hard work had paid off!!! The coach went on and the news got even better. Christian has always played midfield he has outstanding stamina and an accurate strong cross and is also great on defense and midfield is perfect for him, however not his preferred position. He always wanted to be a forward. Well he finally did it, he is a forward..not only that he is the starting forward! Congratulations Christian for all your hard work!!!
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! I'm impressed by his hard work and dedication. He will definitely go far with these qualities.
That is absolutely fantastic! He is a very hard worker. Congrats to him!
Post a Comment